1. It’s 4:30 p.m. and the sun arches its back into the horizon, preparing to depart from this earthly realm until tomorrow morning.
2. We picked up a hitchhiker yesterday on our way up to Houghton. A young 20-ish Michigan Tech student whose vehicle died. He thumbed a ride to the auto store for repair parts and then shivered in the cold for twenty minutes before we picked him up. Before stopping the car I hissed to Barry, “We don’t pick up hitchhikers!” Fortunately, Barry didn’t listen to his wife and decided he was a young college student who needed assistance. Afterward, I was proud that we’d helped a fellow human being–and hoped kind souls might assist our children, should they need it.
3. We almost experienced a car accident, but didn’t, thank the entire Universe. The car two vehicles in front of us stopped on slippery roads to allow innocent college students to pass. The car in front of us slid to the right. We slid to the left. The semi-truck behind us, fortunately, stopped. No one died. No one was injured. We drove away unharmed. It can be challenging maneuvering on ice-covered roads. (Question: Had we not picked up the hitchhiker, would the Universe have been so generous? Answer: we shall never know.)
4. It is icy cold today.
5. My girlfriend and I visited an elderly friend for two hours today.
6. I have so much to do. Yet find myself writing another blog. So very much to do.
7. We bought 50 pounds of birdseed. The birds sing their thanks. They fluff their wings as protection against the cold and ice.
8. What shall we have for dinner tonight? Do bloggers divorce because they would rather blog than cook dinner? Let’s hope not.