Please, dear readers, never let your thoughts convince you that Cousin Lindsey or Friend Derek or Acquaintance Daniella has a better life than you.
Forget their sixteen pictures of babies, tropical vacations, or happy interludes.
Remember that Social Media only shows slivers of truth.
Slivers of reality.
We so often don’t share our aches, our pains, our confusion, our annoyance, our despair.
We’re not lying.
We’re just not sharing the entire picture.
Because we don’t want to. Or because the words aren’t there. Or because we’d prefer to share our good news, our shining light, our joy.
So often I talk intimately with a friend (who has just posted inspiring and delightful photos or statuses on Facebook) and learn that they’re hurting, they’re suffering emotional distress, they’re afraid or grieving or confused.
I often post a status or write a blog revealing only one tenth of what’s happening in this life. The other 90% remains unwritten, unshared, unrevealed.
We’re all in this boat together, paddling toward the next shore. Sometimes there’s a snake in our boat. Sometimes we’re sipping margaritas. Sometimes there’s a pain in our gut. Sometimes there’s an ache in our chest. Sometimes there’s a confusion in our life that we can’t quite fathom, can’t quite figure out. Sometimes a friend dies or is dying, sometimes we’re afraid of failure, sometimes we’re just trying to make it through another day. Sometimes it’s just damn hard.
So don’t you go believing everything you read, and I won’t either. Just realize that we’re reading or seeing 10 percent of a person’s life. The other 90% may or may not be revealed.
Love to all of you during the times you are hurting, aching or sighing deeply beneath the moon… And love you when you’re singing, blossoming and laughing out loud.